If you would love to eat more Tofu but don’t eat soy then this is the perfect recipe for you. With minimal ingredients and minimal time and effort, you can make yourself some delicious cheesy tofu. Or, cut the cheese out for some simple tofu to use in all your dishes. Personally, I love the added cheesy flavour.
A traditional Burmese dish, it makes a great substitute for your normal tofu. The original recipe for this comes from deliciouseveryday.com.
Cheap Lazy Vegan also did her own version of this and created a handy video to show the process which some of you may find useful.
Did I mention that it’s also pretty cheap to make? I bought a packet of chickpea flour on Amazon for £5 which makes enough for two batches of this Cheesy Tofu BUT one batch is enough for 5+ servings. Bargain.
Cheesy Vegan Tofu (Soy & Gluten Free)
- 200 g Chickpea or Garbanzo Flour
- 860 ml Water Divide into 2 – 430ml each
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch of Tumeric Optional
- Vegetable oil I used Frylight Spray
- Firstly, put 430ml (half of your water) into a pan and boil.
- Prepare a square, long dish with a spray or light coating of your oil.
- Combine the chickpea/garbanzo flour in a bowl with the turmeric.
- Add half the water (430ml) into the bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Once your water is boiling. Turn down to a medium heat and pour your mixture into this.
- Continually whisk for 8 minutes until it’s thick and glossy. Add your nutritional yeast in at the end.
- After 8 minutes. Pour the mixture into your prepared dish or tray and leave it to set at room temperature for up to 1 hour but at least 30 minutes.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. Can also be frozen.