The recipe has been adapted from the Peanut Butter Potato Cakes Recipe. They’re just as tasty, a little lower in calories and super zesty. Note – for this exact recipe I added a little icing on top made by combining 2 tsp Icing Sugar with 1 tsp Water and a little Vanilla Extract. Then topping with Lemon Zest.
These Lemon Cakes are dense, moreish, healthy and tasty. They’re Vegan and Gluten-free and super simple to make in just 30 minutes.
The combination of the zesty lemon and the sweetness of the Golden Syrup make a perfect combination.
If you enjoy these, make sure to try the original peanut butter version or the moreish Banana version. Both equally delightful and low calorie. Or, for something a little sweeter and chocolate covered how about the Cookie Dough Peanut Bites. Or, maybe you are in search of something to have as a main before these cakes, in that case, the Tofu & Sweet Potato Kale Salad would be perfect for a healthy and delicious alternative to something more carb heavy.
- 90 g Rolled Oats or Oat Flour
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Water
- 125 ml Plant Milk
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Heat oven to 180C Fan Oven or 200C for a normal oven.
- Firstly, mix the water and flaxegg into a small bowl and place in the fridge.
- Next, blend your oats into a fine powder unless you're using Oat Flour.
- Combine all your dry ingredients into one bowl, do the same for your wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the flax egg into the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then mix thoroughly until combined.
- Pour equal amounts into your cupcake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or until pick comes out clean
- Leave to cool before eating. They will keep at room temperature in a sealed container for 3-4 days. Alternatively, can be frozen and defrosted as needed.